Thursday, July 23, 2026

How to Make Speckled Skull Castings with Eco Resin – Two Different Finishes

How to Make a Speckled “Happenstance” Skull with Eco Resin (Plus Two Different Finishes)

Today’s project is extra special because one of these skulls is made almost entirely from leftovers!

Both skulls were cast from the same mold using Eco Resin, but they turned out completely different.

The Speckled Skull Story

For the white/pink speckled skull on the left, I didn’t add any new pigment on purpose. Instead, every time I mix Eco Resin, I save the leftover resin that sticks to the sides of the mixing cup. Once it dries, I break it out and keep all those scraps in a jar.

When I poured this skull, I threw a bunch of those random dried resin pieces into the mix. The colourful flecks you see are literally waste from past projects! I love how it created this fun, confetti-like effect completely by accident. Why throw it away when you can make something cool with it?

The Metallic Skull

The second skull (right) is the same base casting, but fully painted with metallic silver and glossy blue eyes. It shows how one mold can give you two totally different vibes.

Why I Love This Recycling Method:

  • Almost zero waste
  • Creates unique, one-of-a-kind results
  • Saves money
  • Feels good to reuse materials instead of tossing them

I also worked on another scrap project today — breaking up old cured Eco and Epoxy pieces and embedding them into bigger molds. The small one should be ready to demold tomorrow, and the big one will need a final clear layer.

Being “cheap” (or as I like to call it — resourceful) has its perks in the art world!

Have you ever tried recycling your leftover resin? Would you try the “happenstance” speckled technique? Let me know in the comments!

Happy crafting,
Magdelene 

No comments:

Post a Comment

How to Make Speckled Skull Castings with Eco Resin – Two Different Finishes

How to Make a Speckled “Happenstance” Skull with Eco Resin (Plus Two Different Finishes) Today’s project is extra special because one of the...